Writing your own story

I always have several books going at once. One book I am currently reading is the stress answer by Frank Lawless. One of my interest is helping hurt children. I am aware that there is not enough reading in the world to prepare me for this journey, that I hope to take one day. I though maybe, it might help prepare me in some way. I love ideas and the sharing of ideas, books open so many worlds. One of my favorite places in the world in the library. Mr. Lawless had two concepts in his book, so far that I find of great interest. One is the plasticity of the brain. In current medicine, it is believed that the brain is completely permanently hard wired by the age of five. Lawless challenge this belief but,  asserts the brain is physically,chemically and anatomically changed in response to your thoughts. This is very significant because children that are significantly deprived in the early years of life show profound mental and behaviour problems. If Lawless is correct the effects of deprivation on these young children minds can be reversed. He also states that it takes courage to break out of the familiar story that someone else may have written for you and begin to write you own instead.So how do you teach someone to write their own story? By allowing new realities to form, you can form new neuro- pathways in your brain, thus with these new resources your brain can change at any age. Lawless believes you can reteach your brain to conquer vicious cycle of self destruction. I just wonder if this is what God means when he says in the Bible, so a man thinks he is. When we repent for are sins are we not consciously admitting we are wrong and taking action not to repeat our offence? Some of what Lawless says may not be new after all. When writing your own story who would you make the hero?

Popular Posts