Why have children?

I had a very elderly women say to me something very profound and beautiful the other day. All saints have a past and all sinners have a future. I often think about the fact that, as women we often worry about the future of the next generation. I often forget that God made a murder, Moses into a leader of a nation, he let a young boy name Kaleb with great faith lead an entire nation into the promise land, a hated tax collector to be head of the church and a orphaned young women Ester to save her country. Sometimes I think as women we become,so focused on what is wrong with the next generation, we forget to look at the great work God can do in each of us. Take heart God often uses the least likely, candidate for the job because through our weakness God's greatness is seen. I have great concern when I read new articles that, less people find having children and getting married important. I have read countless newspaper articles recently, people without children are happier but, parents all say if they had to do it over they would have their children again. At first glance this almost seems to be a contradiction. With deeper thought it makes sense because happiness is a fleeting emotion, but joy is a state of being. Only through giving to others can one gain a sense of joy. Through the act of giving ourselves away ,we find who we truly are. In 2 Timothy 3;15 God teaches how to prepare the next generation for success, "You have been taught the Holy scripture from childhood and they have given you the wisdom to receive salvation that comes from trusting Jesus Christ". As women we are responsible for teaching our children to love God then trusting him to work out the plans he has for them. So why do something so tough as raising a child? In a society that children are not considered blessing. We are blessed as women to teach our children to love God. God already has a plans for them. We are not placed on this earth for the purpose of self, but to glorfiey God. Through answering the calling of motherhood we are given the responiblity of training saints for the kingdom of God. Our jobs on this earth will not last, beauty will fade, money lost, relationship fail but, what ever is done for the kindom of heaven will remain forever. I hope to become a adoptive mother someday. I have had many people tell me I will be much happier with a dog.I do not know how hard it is to raise children. This may be true. I understand that my father, probably did not have a easy time in this life, raising four children and caring for a profoundly disabled wife. I do know that through all his toil and heartache he made a significant impact not only on future generations but, on the kingdom of God. He was not rich, he was not perfect, he always looked tired and by the standard given to us of beauty he was a far cry. When I think of him all I can think of is how much I want to be like him and how truly beautiful he was.Through every wrinkle on his face he gave his self, he defended his country through two wars and worked all his life to have nothing of any finacial gain left at the end of his life.He was one of the riches people that I know. So taking a troubled child into my home may give me alot of heart break. My heart is not my own to keep I have already given it away.

Popular Posts