A virtue from my teacher at Liberty that we should all think about

This Weeks Virtue:  Contentment

 

WEEK 6                CONTENTMENT

Creed:  I am confident that God has good plans for me regardless of how my circumstances may look at the present time.

 

Key ScriptureI have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through Him who gives me strength” (Philippians 4:12-13, New International Version).

 

Assessment Statements:

1.     I make every effort to live in the present moment rather than dwelling on the past or worrying about the future. Give the past hurts and past mistakes and past disappointments to Him and press on.

2.     I am cheerful. I want to see the cup as ½ full and not ½ empty.

3.     I am known as a positive person.

4.     I see the best in others.

 

This scripture verse is one of my very favorites! It speaks to me about being happy with what I have, something I struggle with quite often. Most people tend to focus on verse 13; it is often quoted and placed on inspirational things. While this is true, we CAN do anything through Him and with Him, I like to focus on verse 12, because I do tend to struggle with being content in any and every situation. Have you learned the secret of being content? As always, I’ll be in prayer for you about this situation this week, if you’ll return the favor.

How do you rank when it comes to contentment? As a certified over-achiever and someone who is very futuristic – always thinking ahead to my next goal – Liberty is stomping on my toes this week! I don’t think too highly of myself, but I have been known to be self-deprecating. I need to keep in mind how Jesus and God think of me, how do they see me? Then perhaps I won’t think too lowly of myself. I don’t brag, or I try not to brag. I have no problem recognizing my faults (usually), but my sticky area is recognition. I do get upset when my achievements are not recognized in the manner I see fitting. Going back to the Scripture, I do tend to consider my own interests first at times. I need to be more aware and considerate of others and their interests first and foremost, before my own. . I also need to do better with seeing the best in others. I’m having a conflict with another co-worker at my full-time job; therefore, every thought about her tends to be negative right now. I need to remember how God loves her, how He created her and the air for her to breathe, just as He did for me. I need to treat her just like everyone else, someone precious in His sight. How do you rate yourself according to the assessment statements regarding contentment? Are you content? I’ll be in prayer most definitely for myself this week and for all of you as well.

 

Popular Posts