A letter to the daughter I hope to adopt about the challages of life

My dear daughter that I am praying for, I would like to share with you why I hope that your life is not free from heartache and challenges. That the Love I have for you prays not for lack of tribulation but the wisdom and peace to raise for the storms of life a victor. I want you to take what is all wrong with the world and do your best to show the light of the Heavenly father in all that is fallen and wrong. This may seem overwhelming at first but, just take one step at a time. You may not be able to change the entire world but you may be able to change your own little piece. The death of my closest friend at a very young age has made me look closely at the trails we face in this life. I was not expecting at forty to lose my childhood friend. We had journeyed through life together, schooldays, college, marriage, heart breaks, first love, death, new jobs, and all the firsts of life. We knew each other like no other but, still chose to be friends despite are deficiencies, disagreement and stark contrast in personality. I began to wonder in a world that at times seems too hard to bear how is it that Apostle Paul could say” consider it all joy my brethren when you encounter various trails” (James 1:2). I look around me and wonder how wars, orphans, death, hunger; grief can bring hope and joy. The little things in life such as dishes, laundry, work, family and friends at times seem to be insurmountable mountains; let alone the major issues facing this world. How could the death of my best friend be joyful? Let alone finding joy in great problems we see every day. The Bible states “through many tribulations we must enter the kingdom (Acts 14:22). Could it be possible that one of the greatest losses of my life glorify the kingdom of God?

I have prayed earnestly that I could somehow find some comfort through my grief. How could I ever find anything of value in the loss to my closest confidant and companion, let alone joy?  The answer to my question came when I watched a young mother in the supermarket with a child about two years of age. He requested a large red ball. His mother decided to give in to his relentless pleas with the warning; when we get to the register you must give it to the clerk. The young mother had the wisdom to repeat this instruction several times throughout the shopping trip. She inherently knew it would be hard for her young son to give up his new found treasure. It is apparent this young child was new to the idea of having possession by his continued declaration of mine, mine, and mine. It was as if he was trying to convince himself that this was true. When the mother gave it to the clerk to ring it up the young boy no longer had his beautiful red ball in his site. The young boy screamed with a declaration of great grief. It is all gone, all gone.  The young child could not see the bright red ball in the shopping bag, where the clerk had placed it. Despite his mother reassurance in his mind it no longer existed. This young child was learning one of his first lessons in belief. He had to learn to trust that the ball was in the bag despite not being able to see it.

I thought I am not much different than this small child. I at times just like this child, cannot see the ball in the bag so, I believe God is not there. My friends receive Jesus as her Savior. I will see her soon.  I often need reminding that all I have been given in this life is only on loan to manage for my short time on earth.  This is not my home. I am citizen of Heaven. This journey on earth is about character building, through the loss and trails of life. Without tribulation it is much like a student attending school and not receiving homework. Without the pressure and stress of mastering lessons school would be pointless. I must be able to give my own red balls in order to learn patients, hope, trust and faith. The things that I see in the world that are wrong are opportunities for me to become more like my Father in Heaven. I may not be able to stop a war but I can pray for my enemy. I may not be able to feed a starving nation but, I can buy groceries for a single mother. By giving up my red balls, I gain the kingdom of Heaven. I can honestly say like Apostle Paul count it all joy. The trials I face in this life may be some of my greatest gifts. Because I have learned just because, I can’t see my red ball does not mean it is gone. Through my tribulation I am learning to be a citizen of Heaven.

Popular Posts