How do the worldviews in your own nursing environment compare with a Christian worldview? What tensions arise from the differing world views of employers, colleagues, patients and students in your care?

Upon reading the call to care, I became very acutely aware of how drastically the secular culture around me had affected my own nursing practice. I had been taught in the beginning of my nursing career it was my duty to support the spiritual beliefs of my patients. My own belief about God had no place in my nursing practice. I had absorbed the values of nursing teacher, mentors, and the health care environment (Miller & Shelly, 2006). I thought I was doing the right thing by exhibiting tolerance for all behaviors and religions. What I really had was indifference towards my own beliefs. I had failed to stand up for my own Christian beliefs. I had been putting aside my own Christian beliefs, to practice nursing in a way I had been taught by secular nursing education. I have learned in this week’s study by setting appropriate boundaries, I can allow my patient to practice their beliefs and still share mine. Examples given were when a patient asks you to do something against your beliefs; you can state that against your beliefs and get someone who can help the patient (Miller & Shelly, 2006).  This may sound simple but, I was taught good nurses support their patient beliefs and leave their own beliefs at home.

The way that I choose to share my Christian beliefs is through the care I provided to my patients. As a Christian nurse, I am obligated to treat every person as someone who is important to God. I try to provide exceptional care and compassion to every patient that I care for (Miller & Shelly, 2006).  It is my belief that I am responsible to God for the care I provide. People are created for a relationship with the Creator (Miller & Shelly, 2006). The reading has made me realize that any patient I have that does not know Jesus Christ is already dead in sin. I am a servant to the Lord the job I do is for the glory of God’s kingdom.

 One of the greatest differences I see between secular nurses and Christian nurses is their attitude. Many of the secular nurses I work with often express they are tired of bedside care. The reasons are limitless, patient’s attitudes, government changes, technology, work load, pay, staffing, and co-workers. The mature Christian nurse’s believe that their career is more than just a job it is a ministry. Their work and attitudes towards co-workers is often reflection of their beliefs.  Many of the Christian nurse’s refuse to engage in gossip, so they have fewer problems with co-workers. I asked one Christian nurse why she always volunteered for C wing despite the protest of other nurses.  She stated “God often presents opportunities as problems for us to grow as Christians”. “If I learn to do the job that no one else wants, I will always have one”. She also explained compensation comes from harder jobs. “I always see greater dividends, not just financially from doing what no one else wants to do”. The Christian nurse’s faith in a higher power provides a barrier from stress and burnout. A positive attitude towards work is reflected in the care provided to the patients by the Christian nurses.

 I work at a hospital that was founded on the teaching of Jesus Christ. Problems arise at times over the interpretation of ways to share the Biblical foundations of the hospital to the public. The hospital was founded as a Baptist hospital to serve the poor and indigent. The Baptist hospital then merged with a local Catholic health clinic to combined financial resources during the great depression. This merger has caused differing world views of the Baptist and Catholics which often cause conflict within the hospital. One recent conflict was the placing of a statue of St Francis in a new patient garden.  The statue was considered an Idol by many of the constituents, staff, and patients. Others believed that the statue would bring comfort and blessing to the hospital.

The Bible states “Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth “(Exodus 5, 20:4).  The Catholic nurse’s defense was the Bible also states that “King Solomon’s temple contains statues of cherubim and images of oxen, and lions that were used in worship” (1 Kings 6: 23-36, 7:27-39; 8:6-67). Having art is not the problem it is when people use the object of art, as an Idol. This is demonstrated in the book of Exodus, “ God commands the making of the image of a golden cherubim, this heavenly image, of course is not worshiped by the Israelites, Instead, the image disposes their mind to  supernatural and draws them to God” ( Exodus 25:18-22,26:1,31). After a great deal of discussion among all parties involved it was determined if the statue may cause anyone to sin, then it should not be placed in the garden.  A copy of the Ten Commandments was placed in its place.

Another example of a major conflict between the secular view of my job and my Christian world view is the observance of the Sabbath. The Bible states “Remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy” (Exodus, 20:88). The problem is that if you work night shift you must work either Saturday or Sunday night.  This causes a problem because; I am always half asleep while attending church services.  When I discussed this issue with the unit manager it was stated nursing is a ministry and even Jesus healed the sick on the Sabbath. The nursing staff has purposed a modified schedule for Sundays to make it possible for everyone to attend one church service. At this time that is not an option. The reason given is, the plan is not fair to the individuals who do not attend church services. After reading call to care I have come to realize that by protecting the rights of secular nurses that my own rights as a Christian were being violated. I asked my unit manager if it would be possible for my Christian co-workers to have a Bible study in the chapel on our lunch break on Sunday. In a respectful manner,I brought up the fact the rights of the Christians were being violated. She agreed to the Bible study on nightshift.

An additional area were world views collide is the issue of modest dress. The Bible states “I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety” (Timothy 2:9). When I attend hospital events I often wear a long skirt or pant suit. I often hear comments from well-meaning co-workers that I need to dress more like people my own age. My clothes are modern just not revealing.

Reading Called to care has made me come to the understanding, that if I say I believe in Jesus Christ, I cannot separate him from my work.  I was committing one of the greatest sins Idolatry. I had moved God from the center of my nursing practice to the periphery in the quest to be politically correct (Miller & Shelly, 2006).  The reading opened my eyes to ways that I could change my nursing practice. Having patient centered care does not mean leaving my own belief system away from work. Conflict between the secular views and my Christian views are only opportunities to present Jesus Christ to a lost world.


References


 

Popular Posts