Should nurse have an advanced degree to practice?

     The rapid advancement of medical and technological breakthroughs make it necessary to create a better educated more compete workforce. Numerous studies have documented the mortality rates of patients were considerably lower in hospitals that employed more nurses prepared at a Baccalaureate level (Aiken &Cheung 2006). Many nurses contend that these studies may not paint an accurate picture because; the studies did not take in to consideration the technical logical advances of the hospitals with a lower patient mortality rate and there staff patient ratios. Many argue that requiring a Bachelor’s degree will increase the nursing shortage to even a greater extent and put the public in jeopardy (Long, 2004). Much of the nursing research indicated better staffing levels decrease medication errors, patient’s safety and decrease mortality (Aiken &Cheung 2006).

     The role of economics also plays a significant role in nurses obtaining advance degrees because, there is minimal financial gain when obtaining a bachelors degree. The cost of education and time spent obtaining advanced degrees by far outpaces, the economic gain seen by nurses obtaining advance degrees (Long, 2004). The fact of the matter is science demonstrates the quality of care for patients improves with the more education a nurse receives (Aiken &Cheung 2006). The profession of nursing has a long standing tradition of service, sacrifice and trust. If advanced educational preparation saves one life is this not worth the cost; this one life could be the next president, Einstein, Mother Theresa. It will be difficult to test the validity of this science of the importance of a Bachelors degree, when a disproportionate number of nurses do not have the ability to conduct scientific research in this matter, due to lack of advanced educational training in research. This very well may prove the argument for nurses needing advanced educational preparation (Aiken &Cheung 2006).

     The establishment of professions creditability is founded on scientific research (Ryan, 2008). Without current sound scientific foundation nursing has the ability to lose standing as a profession. Most other vocations require an advanced degree to attach the word professional to their name. When polled 76% of the public believe a nurse should hold a bachelors degree or higher (Long, 2010).  If nurses fail to indentify the need for a more competent workforce they may lose the trust of the public they serve. “The role of the nurse is changing with the transformation of health care, but unfortunately, the level of education typically remains the same, as evidence by the small percentage of nurses who pursue higher levels of education (Long, 2010, p.220).

     I have mixed feeling about the entry level for nurse being at a Bachelorette level, just as the research indicates. First I would like to make it clear that my belief is education is one of the greatest gifts that you can give yourself and the others around you. The value of education cannot be measured in dollars and cents. The education as a licensed practical nurse starting at age fourteen years old was life changing for me. I was an orphan at the age of fifteen and nursing has literally given to me more then I could ever give back. I have been given a life by nuns (who were also nurses) who gave me the calling to become a nurse. My career has allowed me to survive despite having only three dollars and a few article of clothing at the age of eighteen, when I no longer had a place to live. Life could have been much more difficult for me but, the nurses that have surrounded me in my career in a sense literally raised me. I really have not shared this information publically before but, feel called to because education is life changing and we as nurses do have the ability to change lives in our little place in the world.

     With that being said; I have been a nurse for the last twenty –years and much of what I have learned is on the job experience. Learning for a book and controlled clinical practice are much different than the real world. One example that I can give is during my experience as a military nurse; I can read and hear about treating soldiers that have been hit with grenade shrapnel. No amount of education can prepare you for the day you have to tell a young man he has lost his hands and feet serving his country. I have worked with Patient care technicians that have been very skilled from years in the field and they have taught me many things. I have been in charge of interns and new ARNP’s on the floor,  where I currently work because, I have been doing the same job long enough nothing is really to new anymore. Life experience has value and brings wisdom.

     My education has also taught me that you do not need a class to learn. I also feel that I owe to my profession the advancement of my degree. I will not receive a promotion and will experience a financial loss of $300.00 dollars a month for at least the next fifteen years for continuing my degree; that I will never gain back financially in my career. I knew this when I started to climb the Ivory tower but, still felt it was important enough to keep climbing. I owe it to my profession and my patients. I could never give back what the profession of nursing has given to me but, I intend to try. The entry level debate is one of those questions that I am very conflicted and unable to decide. Just maybe I answered the question when I decided to drive my fifteen year old van a couple of more years in an effort to have the money to attend graduate school? Maybe a combination of both would be the answer.

Aiken,L.,Cheung,R., (2006). Hospital initiatives to support a better-
  
     educated workforce.
The journal of nursing administration, 36
  
    
(718), 357-362. Retrieved from http://ovidsp.tx.ovid.com.ezprox
  
     y.liberty.edu

Long,K. (2004). Rn education : A matter of degrees. Issuess in
  
     nursing, 34
(3), 1-5. Retrieved from http://proquest.umi.com.ezp
  
     roxy.liberty.edu:2048/pqdlink


  

Popular Posts