A Spirit of Gentleness


Written By Jim Coleman


http://www.hourofpower.org/devotions/detail.php?contentid=6651&did=5

“What do you want? Shall I come to you with a rod, or in love and a spirit of gentleness?” -1 Corinthians 4:21


While exiting a parking garage only a few days ago, I was confronted by a rather large sign: The arrow was black and the circle with the slash was red. Bright red. The sign couldn’t be missed - it was nearly SCREAMING at me. That was the idea…they didn’t want me turning right into oncoming, one-way traffic. I get it.

It’s somewhat crazy, but, the very first thing that went through my mind when I saw the sign was, “Wouldn’t a sign like this be just as effective if worded in a nicer way?” …something like: “Left Turn Only, Please”.

I assume (probably correctly) that there have been numerous, lengthy studies yielding information that solidly concludes exactly what style and configuration of road and traffic signs are most effective under every circumstance. There is a vast amount of visual stimuli for the driver’s eye to see, so an effective sign is certainly necessary, especially in potential life and death or serious injury situations.

Nonetheless, something inside of me longs for gentler, kinder ways between people. I suppose I’m somewhat of an idealistic romantic, but I maintain that people don’t need to be SCREAMED at to stimulate a positive response.

Christ’s demeanor always conveys that of a loving, gentle, kind spirit. Yes, He raised His voice on occasion - for good reasons. You and I may raise our voices, too, but for good reasons? Maybe. Christ’s teaching was conversational - communicating the joy, the truth, and the love of God.

I’m convinced that results and reactions that are more positive bear fruit from seeds sown in a spirit of love and gentleness than with “the rod.” In fact, a rose bush full of buds looses all or many of them if I hit the bush repeatedly with a stick or a rod. Only “love” expressed through the careful application of water and nutrients combined with a gentle cultivation of proper soil yields the colorful, blossoming, fragrant beauty of God’s budding creation.

Popular Posts