Challenges in the nursing profession

     Throughout the Bible God has only given about 100 people a direct calling to any type of work (Calling in the theology of work, 2011). God commands his children to labor and says it is good for are wellbeing (NIV, Genesis, 2:15, 19-20).Work will take place here and in heaven (Revelations, 21:24-26).God wants us to use any work we do to glorify him and expand his kingdom (Colossians, 3:11). God gives everyone a ministry through work. Through are labors to build a better society, we not only serve God but also help ourselves (Jeremiah, 29 5-7).

     As I have grown in spiritual maturity, I have learned there is no such thing as a perfect job. Obtaining the perfect vocation, family, house, degree, does not bring happiness or salvation (Calling in the theology of work, 2011). While of this earth, even the son of God had many trials and tribulations. I have seen many changes in the profession of nursing over the last twenty-five years. There were times in my profession when I witnessed young men that had served their country-missing limbs or worse dead. I worked during nurses shortages, where I was mandated to work sixteen-hour shifts, with an unsafe patient load, and prayed nothing would happen to my patients. I have prepared the body of a homeless man, whose only friend was a petrified rat in his backpack. I have been with families as they have said goodbye to their five-year-old child. Many times, I worked for bad companies and bosses. I have also watched many miracles. I have handed mothers their first child. I have watched families forgive in the last moments of life. I have watched people literally rise from the dead.

     My profession has allowed me to see the best and the worst of this world. Through this, I have learned my circumstances can be changed with my own attitude. When I am ready to throw in the towel over one more budget meeting, the unfair nursing ratios, staffing shortage, unrealistic customer expectations, I remember, I am doing this for God. Not a day has passed, when I have not prayed, God would not help me care for my patients. Through this, I know that God has my back; he is in control and makes me brave (1 peter, 5:6-7). The sacrifice and labor has at times, seemed to be unbearable, but through this, Jesus has molded a great life for me. One of my most proud moments is my niece just begun nursing school, because she said I inspired her. The challenges may have changed throughout the years, but my attitude has not. I am here to care for God's creation.

My Calling as a nurse

As I grow older, God's word speaks to me much differently each decade of my life. I am now in the middle of my life span and it is much easier for me to see how God has a plan for all his children, prior to them ever being born ( NIV, Jeremiah, 1:4-5). He takes people and uses their gifts and weakness to glorify and serve his purpose (Isaiah, 30:15). I was an identical twin that was born at six months gestation, at a time when severely premature infants rarely lived (Isaiah, 30:15). Due to complications of my birth, my mother became severely disabled and my sister died. This was my father's second family. My father was a retired Army chaplain, a Barber and now a single father of seven. I stayed in the hospital for the first eight months of my life. I was sent home to die. The doctor told my father if I lived, I would never walk, talk or speak. My great aunt, a missionary nurse, came to help with us children. This elderly woman raised us children, along with my father until her death. I was told; she read me the entire Bible and many medical books, before I reached the age of two. When I went back to see the pediatrician, he could not believe that I was the same baby because, I walked and talked at ten months old, despite having arthrogyposis. When my father told the story of my birth, he always said that my life was the result of God and good nursing care. Nurses were the hands of God. Due to many medical problems, I spend many years with Army medical personal to gain the excellent health I have today.

 I remember my aunt taking me with her as a young child, when she served the poor of the Appalachia Mountains. As a child, I witnessed birth and death in people's homes. I was not hidden from the complexities of life.  I sat next to her and the doctor and learned how to do many medical procedures. As a child we were not spanked when we did something wrong, my father would have us children sit and read out, medical books he had dug out of the garbage, while he cut men's hair. He had my mother in the back of his barbershop, and as a family, we cared for her. Her illness did not remove her from our lives.

When I was, five we did a school program the principle asked children what they wanted to be when they grew up. Most of the girls had the same answer a mommy or ballerina. When he came to me, I got up on the stool and stated I was going to be a nurse in the Army. I remember everyone laughing. I suppose now it seemed funny, a scrawny little girl, with braces on her legs would say such a thing, but I just knew that was what I was supposed to be. I remember it made the passion even stronger.

God intervened again when I was in the eighth grade. I attended a catholic school because it was the only school in the area. The nuns started a licensed vocational nursing program where you attended high school a half a day and nursing school the other part of the day. In the eighth grade, a nun came up to me and stated this is," God's calling for your life"! I was exuberant when she told me about the program; God had fulfilled the desire of my heart (Psalm 37:4). I had never told anyone in my new school about my dreams.

 Starting in the eighth grade, I began going to the hospital with then nuns and every Saturday for eight hours. I had to agree that for the next five years, I would not do many things other girls my age were doing. I could not date, attend dances, proms, or the senior class trip. I was dedicated to every Saturday to work at the hospital for the next five years. You could only miss one clinical a year, due to sickness, or you were out of the program. God provided the uniforms, books, transportation, tuition and health in extraordinary ways over the next five years. It would take an entire book to describe how God worked in my life.  Almost thirty years later I am so grateful, I was given this opportunity, I have never regretted missing those millstones. Those nuns gave me something much greater: a purpose. The hard work that I did made me stronger physically; I joined the United States Army at the age of seventeen as a licensed vocational nurse.  I do not believe that I had a calling. I believe God created me for my role.

Servant leadership in my daily practice

     A servant leader demonstrates their values through actions in their everyday behavior (Boone & Makhani, 2012). It is understood by a servant leader that to live out your values is one of the most important tasks in life. The Bible states, if a man walks honestly their path is protected (Proverbs, 10:9). A servant nurse leader makes an effort to support and assist other staff members and patients. Another quality of a servant leader is the ability to influence others through genuine relationships that truly support and understand the other individuals (Boone & Makhani, 2012). Through serving and understanding others, the servant leader is able to reach organizational goals and build a better community and world. A servant leader takes others opinions and ideas in consideration when making decisions (Boone & Makhani, 2012).

     In the past three years, I have received special award during nursing week. These awards have meant a great deal to me because; they have come from my peers. I have received the Clara Barton award for the most helpful nurse the Florence Nightingale award for the most caring nurse and the Daisy award for providing care beyond the call of duty. I feel that caring, helping my colleges and serving my patients is my job.

      Last year when I received the Daisy award a young nurse that works at our hospital told the staff that she became a nurse and worked at are hospital because, I saved her life one night. She tells the story that I was walking past her room to go home in sweat clothes, when I realized something was wrong. I called a rapid response and had her sent to the ICU, for an immediate surgical intervention. She said she had been telling nurses during the change of shift, something was wrong and they kept turning off her light and saying they would be in the room soon. Although I have no recollection of the event, I am so glad that I put her ahead of myself, because she has, went on to save many people, to include my own husband.  Through service to another, God blessed me with one of my greatest miracles my husband's healing. We who are strong have the obligation to bear the failings of the weak and not please ourselves ( Romans 15:1).

 

References

Boone, Larry W., and Sanya Makhani. "Five necessary attitudes of a servant leader." Review of     

Business Winter 2012: 83+. Academic OneFile. Web. 3 May 2016.URL      http://ezproxy.liberty.edu:2048/login?url=http://go.galegroup.com.ezproxy.liberty.edu:2048/ps/i.do?id=GALE%7CA326656948&sid=summon&v=2.1&u=vic_liberty&it=r&p=AONE&sw=w&asid=8859bf277cb6fd331d493a3efc519b66

 

Calling in the theology of work. (2011). Journal of Markets and Morality, 14(1) Retrieved from http://ezproxy.liberty.edu:2048/login?url=http://search.proquest.com/docview/1439118268?accountid=12085

 

Popular Posts